I've also had this tea towel in my linen closet (since 2006, apparently) but it doesn't get much use because the colors don't fit my kitchen and there is a big stain on the front. (No, I'm not sure why I kept an unmatching and stained towel, either, but I'm glad I did.)
The hardest part of making this apron was trying to iron the wrinkles out of a 100% linen tea towel that's been wadded up in a closet for I-don't-even-know-how long. As you can see, I wasn't totally successful, but I wanted to just get sewing already!
I love the end result of this tutorial. The design of the towel worked perfectly and gave me a great border on the bottom of the apron, and the stain is caught under the rick rack and the fold, so I won't even be embarassed to show this one off. The only modification I made was that I didn't sew three equal pockets, but made one large and two smaller pockets instead.
I also tried to take my first camera in the mirror shot of myself wearing the apron. But...no.