Monday, September 28, 2009

American Sewing Expo - Fabric

I had a super packed weekend, but with the American Sewing Expo right in my backyard (or 25 miles away) how could I pass it up.

I managed to wake up earlier on Sunday morning than I do on most workdays and made it to Novi just as the show was opening.  It still took me 15 minutes to find a parking spot.  I didn't get a chance to attend any of the many seminars or classes thanks to a wedding, bowling outing and craft fair also taking place that weekend, but I at least made it to the vendor floor. 

Some of my local fabric/quilt shops (Haberman Fabrics and Material Girls, LLC) had booths, as well as a ton of other local and not-so-local shops.  I was really hoping to find some unique, new or hard to find items, but I'm super sorry to say that I was a bit underwhelmed.  Material Girls did have a decent Japanese selection at the show, but I didn't spend to much time looking because I can pop over to the store almost anytime.  I did take an opportunity to feel Heather Ross' Far Far Away which they have an awesome selection of, and I know I'll snag some someday, but I really need to justify the price.



I did find a bit of Kokka home dec fabric at the Material Mart booth, which is the pink and orange.  I saw the polka dots from across the aisle, and once I got closer and found the gingham on the bottom half, I was sold.  I think it was 30% off, too, which was a good deal.  I also got this adorable Route 66 fabric from them, and it is so perfect for my nerdy mom who has a love of all things Route 66 and Western.  I'm hesitant to even post it, but I doubt she'll stumble far enough on to the internet to see it before Christmas, which is when I'll give her something made from it.  My other fabric purchases were a few cute fat quarters, this golf ball stuff that will turn into a gift, too, and some strips that aren't pictured because I cut them into squares as soon as I got home.  And because they'll become a patchwork bag for my roommate, who WILL stumble this far (go away, NOSY!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! If you didn't leave an email address I'll answer in the comments, so check back!

Followers