Monday, January 18, 2010

January 14-17: (Not so) Mini oven mitt

I'm behind in the calendar projects again.  In my defense, I had until Sunday to finish this tutorial, and since I had today off, I thought that today was Sunday.  It is not.

The January 14-17 feature was a mini oven mitt from My Longest Year.  BUT! since I had a need for a big person sized oven mitt I modified the pattern to make a full sized mitt.  Instead of putting an unbatted (word?  not sure) band at the wrist I just added three inches to the template and cut the lining, outer fabric and Insul-Brite (since I was making a real mitt, I wanted to use a heat resistant batting) all the same size.



This is another project that I managed to make using just a fat quarter.  I used the same fabric for the mitt, lining and binding.  Instead of sewing a loop to hang the mitt from I used some jumbo rick rack.  I also, since I was already behind in time, didn't quilt the mitt.



My current oven mitt is a stained, ripped and scratchy masterpiece with sailboats and "Welcome to the Caribbean" printed on it.  This is most definitely an improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! If you didn't leave an email address I'll answer in the comments, so check back!

Followers