Sunday, January 31, 2010

January 28-31: Tin can cover

To make this project, the tin can cover from elsie marley, I first had to track down a 28 oz tin can.  Since I don't often have them laying around, and don't trust most foods that come in cans anyway, I had to dig pretty deep into the storage rack of various creamed soups and emergency vegetables to find a huge, dusty can of sauerkraut.  I hesitated to dump it out and use it (even though I can't think of one time that I've dared make anything that called for sauerkraut  out of can) because I didn't want to waste it.  Then I noticed it expired in March of 2008.  Not that you'd know, but I moved to my current house in January of 2009.

Does that mean this girl actually packed and moved a can of expired sauerkraut, you ask?  Yes, I did.


Nasty spoiled food related anecdotes aside, I messed this project up pretty good, and it still came out pretty good.  I'm going to blame it on my still feeling pretty sick, but you can free to take that as an excuse, because it sort of is.


I wanted to try thread sketching, but for the life of me I couldn't come up with anything to sketch.  I want to use this can as a pen/pencil/spare change/wadded up gum wrapper holder on my desk, but I was afraid that a sketched pencil would just look like a wonky rectangle.  So, I dug deep and come up with.....the letter A.  In a pale, nearly impossible to see, pink.  Wild, I know.  There wasn't much to it, but it did help me realize that thread sketching might not be as scary as I'd thought, and I want to do it again.  And soon.


The fabric doesn't wrap around the top of the can as called for, because I read and read and read and my medicine riddled brain just could not comprehend the directions.  I debated trekking upstairs to pull up the original tutorial to see if the pictures would help, but realized that I didn't have any glue anyway, so that point was pretty moot.  I sewed the edges shut and that's it.

I want to take it to work with me tomorrow, but my sniffer is still outta whack and I'm afraid it still smells like sauerkraut.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! If you didn't leave an email address I'll answer in the comments, so check back!

Followers